Sunday 25 September 2016

Hair Product Review: SheaMoisture Masques

Hi all,
It’s been a while since my last post. It’s not that there’s nothing to write about, I just needed to take the time to sit down and write. So, I promised I’d come back and do a review of the Shea Moisture products I’ve added to my hair regimen. Here, I’m going to give my thoughts two of the masques/masks I’ve been using for the last four months.

Purification Masque (African Black Soap range)
*

Is part of the African black soap range which is designed to relieve dry, itchy scalp. Its suitable for use as a deep treatment following shampoo and as a co-wash, since its designed to remove product buildup.

Ingredients:
Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Mangifera Indica(Mango)Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil , African Black Soap Extract, Sea Salt, Cetyl Esters, Kaolin Clay, Grapeseed Oil, Simmondsia chinensis seed (Jojoba) Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioner), Salicylic Acid, Salix Alba (Willow)Bark Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Sorbitol Esters, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosemary Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract, Plantain Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract

How does it look? Its grey in appearance and looks a lot like a clay mixture.
Smell: its faint with hints of banana and vanilla
The consistency: It’s not thick or runny ...it’s got the consistency of mayonnaise

My thoughts:
I’ve been using this purification masque as a deep treatment, co-wash and as a scalp cleanser (for when I had braids installed).

As a deep treatment masque: I have thick hair, so I need to be quite generous when applying, since it doesn’t spread very well. It doesn’t have much slip so I would recommend detangling before you shampoo. BUT, when I washed it out after 30 minutes my hair felt soft and manageable.

As a co-wash/scalp cleanser it works really well; I’m trying to shampoo bi-weekly and this has been working out for me really well. I don’t shampoo my hair when I’ve installed braids; I’ve been using the purification masque diluted with water, which I then apply with a spray bottle.
All in all, this one is a keeper.

Strengthen, Grow & Restore treatment (Jamaican Black Castor Oil)
*


Part of the Jamaican Black Castor Oil range that is geared towards dry, overprocessed and colour-treated hair. It works as a deep conditioner following a shampoo.

Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Stearyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Yeast Extract, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Vinegar, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Niacin, Dextran, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Caramel, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract

How does it look? Toffee colour
Smell: Peppermint vanilla toffee ...think werther's toffee
The consistency: thick, creamy

My thoughts:
I’ve been using this as a deep conditioner exclusively. I use it conjunction with shampoo and leave-in (both to be reviewed soon). I love the way this one feels …it’s just great...lots of slip and a little goes a very long way. I leave it in for a half hour and then rinse it out with cool water. When used with other products in this range, the results are amazing. Here’s a picture of my hair after a braidout on a blow out.



Availability: In South Africa, you can get these online from www.african-flair.co.za for R 319.00 for 12oz (it’s on sale right now for R 265.00). 


See you in my next post,
xoxo

N


*Images from the Shea Moisture website

No comments:

Post a Comment