Tuesday 16 August 2016

Let's Talk About...My Hair!


I've been mulling over this post for more than a month. I wasn't sure about what to talk about or how...meh so here goes
History
I had a big *ss fro up until I was 21, at which I point I decided I wanted straight hair. I relaxed and then texlaxed for about 7 years.
Afro puff at 3 years old

 In the last 2 years before going natural I cut my hair for the first time in my life into a Cleopatra bob...I loved it but as you all know manitaining hair cuts is a mission. So I grew it out and then in April 2014 I did my last relaxer and decied to transition (for 24 months) back to natural hair. 
December 2010: My hair had already started breaking.

I wasn't happy with the texture or the feel of my hair. It felt dry and brittle, I couldn't retain length and truth be told..I just MISSED MY AFRO!
So fast forward 18 months (I couldn't take it anymore); I chopped off the relaxed ends. Best. decision. ever. 
Braidout, 8 Months post big chop

I've been natural for 8 months and I'm in love with my hair once again. For the most part, I keep my hair in box braids and twists. It's just easier that way (I get lazy).
Kinky twists

Silver box braids

Before relaxer, I had bra-strap length hair...so my immediate goal is to get it back to that. 
I'm currently at armpit length (I've already had one trim this year, and I'll probably do another in November).
 
So below is a summary of my current hair regimen, which contiunes to evolve as I discover new products. Also, I've linked to the products to the supplier websites for more information. I haven't included any of the products that I use to straghten my hair. I'll deal with that in a later post (it's not something that I do very often).

Hair regimen
Co-wash (I'm trying not to shampoo every week, so I alternate: shampoo every 2 weeks)
As I Am Coconut Cowash
Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque
 
Pre-shampoo/detangling (I like to detangle my hair before I wash it. So I mix my cheapie conditioner with JBCO and add that to sections of my hair before detangling with my fingers, wide tooth comb and finally denman brush).
Tresemme Naturals Vibrantly smooth & Colour radiance conditioners (No longer available in South Africa :-( I've got 1and 1/2 bottles left).
Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil
 
Shampoos (every 2 weeks)
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow shampoo
Giovanni Ecochic Wellness System shampoo
 
Deep conditioners (every week)
The Body Shop Rainforest Radiance Butter
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow deep treatment masque
 
Leave-in conditioners
Cantu shea butter for Natural hair Leave-in Conditioning Cream
African Black Soap Balancing Conditioner
Jamaican Black Castor oil Strengthen & Grow leave-in conditioner
  
Styling products (I use these after adding my leave-in for a braidout or a twistout. I prefer braidouts because I get better definition and longevity).

Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Styling Milk
Jamaican Black Castor oil Strengthen & Grow styling lotion
Shealoe butter mix (Shea butter, Coconut oil and Aloe vera juice)
Ecostyler Argan oil gel 

Protein treatments (I've lightened my hair and I use semi-permanent colour, so I need all the help I can get).
Light (Once a month): CHI Deep Brilliance Silkeratin 17 & Moisture Treatment
Heavy (Every 8 weeks): Aphogee Two-Step Protein treatment


Done! I'm feeling very accomplished :-)

See you in my next post, 

xoxo, N

No comments:

Post a Comment