Tuesday 30 May 2017

Haircare Review: TRESemmé - Naturals vs Botanique

Hi loves,
I'm back with another hair product review; this time it's TRESemmé, they recently launched their expert selection botanique range in South Africa...
Now I need to rant just a little bit, TRESemmé discontinued the Naturals range two years ago and thne just left us high dry and dry no bye, no explanations. Meanwhile everywhere else, the Botanique range was launched and we had to wait for 2 years...why?

TRESemmé Naturals was the holy grail of conditioners for curlies and coilys everywhere; it's sulphate-free, silicone free and multipurpose. It could be used as a co-wash, a pre-poo, a leave-in or just as a regular rinse-out conditioner. My preferred use for this: Pre-poo detangling, I add some Jamaican Black Castor Oil to my conditioner and use it to detangle my hair on washday.
Anyway, let's not dwell on by gones.

I recruited my closest curlfriends so that we could do a  comparison review:
New vs. Old - Naturals vs. Botanique

We all had a bit of the old formula because we love it so much, we've been hoarding. I compared with Naturals - Radiant Care to the new Botanique, and the Llozanne and Cynthia compared the new conditioner to the Naturals - Nourishing Moisture.  I picked up a bottle of hte new conditioner at Pick n Pay for R 79.99.

Here's the list of the ingredients
TRESemmé Botanique Nourish and Replenish
Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Behentrimonium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

TRESemmé Naturals Radiant Care
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Aspartic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Lauryl Lysine, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Cymbopogon Schoeanthus (Lemongrass) Extract (Organic), Citrus Aurantium (Orange) Peel Extract (Organic)

TRESemmé  Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance, Lauryl Lysine, Caprylyl Glycol, Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed)/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Aspartic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Persea Gratissima (Avacado) Oil (Organic), Citric Acid, Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice (Organic)


Cynthia's Review: (compared the new condtioner to Naturals Nourishing Moisture)

1. What do you like about the product?
I love the strong smell of coconut...mmhm yummy 
The slip is good too 
It's quite cheap for the size you get 
All the ingredients we as naturals like 

2. How does it feel on your hair ?
It makes it soft and easy to comb through, especially for my kinky 4C hair 🙈

3. Botanique vs Naturals
It's runnier as compared to Naturals and so will finish quicker than the Naturals
The slip is also not as good as Naturals
But I love the fragrance more than Naturals 
I kinda like the packaging more as well lol - it's prettier with the writing haha 

4. Price 5/5
5. Effectiveness 4/5
6. Repurchase? I would definitely repurchase it 😄

The Llozanne Review:
(Botanique vs Naturals Nourishing Moisture vs Dark & Lovely Au Naturale Knot-out Conditioner)...My bestie does not do anything in half measures 




Photo Credit: #thebestie

1. What do you like about the product?
it's moisturising and thick

2. How does it feel on your hair ?
it sits on the strands; it seems to get absorbed if you work it into the hair.Leaves the hair feeling filmy, it might be the coconut oil (not a fan).

3. Botanique vs Naturals vs Knot-out
vs Naturals  - it has less slip than the old formula and more product is neededfor detangling.
it's not as moisturising as the old formula. On the upside, it gives his curls crazy definition and curl clumping.

vs Knot-out - it lost! knot-out slip is way superior, especially with added JBCO. However, curl definition from the Botanique conditioner was way better than knot-out conditioner.

4. Effectiveness 3/5. It does the job.
5. Price 5/5
6. Repurchase? If its only sale yes, and only if my others were out of stock and I had no choice.

Final thoughts: I don't forsee myself using this as a rinse-out conditioner because it doesn't soak into the hair and it leaves a residue on the hair. Detangling wasn't great, it was more of a hassle than I'm accustommed to.


My Review:
Compared Botanique against Radiant Care for pre-poo/detangling
I divided my hair into two sections, one side Botanique and to the other I applied Radiant Care.
Botanique vs Naturals
Right off the bat the big diffrence for me is the consistency...
Radiant Care: thick and creamy with slight tackiness
Botanique: it's creamy as well but runny

Fragrance: (this is not really important to me, I have prodcuts that smell like after shave)
Radiant Care: faint citrus
Botanique: coconut (but not as strong as Palmers)

How it feels on my hair...
The old formula absorbs and adsorbs to my hair strands really well, coating my hair strands for easy detangling (finger detangling followed by Denman D3 brush). The Botanique conditioner feels like a co-wash on my hair, it coats my hair strands in a layer that doesn't seem to get absorbed and detangling is not as easy; there was defintely a bit of snagging and snapping of hair strands .
The advantage the Botanique conditioner has over Naturals is that  it elongates my coils, so there isn't as much shrinkage.
I keep the conditioner on for 30 minutes before I rinse out. After rinsing out both sides were soft and manageable, so in that regard the results from both condtioners are similar. The definition and clumping of my coils with the new formula was amazing. 
I like that they've removed the alcohol and isopropyl alcohol, which can be drying on the hair 👏👍. Cape Town Curly has a post on alcohols in hair products (Click here for the link)

My Final thoughts: It's an ok conditioner and it's decently priced, but I've found better alternatives (for pre-poo) to TRESemmé conditioners since the Naturals range was discontinued; I especially love the Baylis & Harding Coconut Conditioner R 59.99 for 500ml (Dischem) and the Garnier Ultimate Blends  Conditioner - The Nourishing Repairer R 59.99 for 400ml (Dischem and Clicks).


Condtioner and shampoo are both available in Pick n Pay, Dischem, and Clicks stores for R 79.99 each. Dischem currenlty has a special, you can get them for R59.99 each.

That's it from me, thank you to my curlfriends for saying yes to the collab, 💜💜💜💜💜



See you in my next post, 
xoxo















2 comments:

  1. Hi Pewa from the Namib
    I love this review. Reading your post had me nodding my head a couple of times. I used the Tresemme Botanique Shampoo and Conditioner today. The shampoo left my hair feeling super clean to the point where i just wanted it out of my hair and lather on some conditioner to get it feeling soft again. The conditioner I agree is not great for the detangling process and I struggled more than usual so that was a definite nod and a ha moment. I still love the Tresemme Naturals though (the radiant care and moisturizing one). Botanique is a do-able conditioner but ive lost my excitement for it. Thank you for the informative review!!!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my review. I'm glad someone has the same sort of conclusions about the conditioner. I wanted to love this considering how much we loved the old formula, but alas...NOT.

      Delete