Sunday 3 July 2016

New Look: Blue Hair & Bold Lips

Hey everyone, 
One of the ways I get to wear bright fashion colours in my hair (without bleaching my hair within an inch of its life), is to install braids in the desired colours. 
My go-to protective style since graduating from high school many many moons ago is box braids. I just love them... I occasionally install senegalese twists or marley twists but I always come back to my beloved box braids. 
I've had quite number of different colours thus far this year: Purple and forest green ombre, and gun metal/silver.  And now I'm rocking blue; it's been 2 years since I last had blue braids, mainly because finding bright colour braids is not easy. 
I purchased mine from Hair City which is based in Gauteng but has an online store... thank God! 
I'm really lucky in that I work in an setting that doesn't set dresscode rules. I do tone it down when I travel to conferences etc. but if I know I'm not travelling for 4-6 weeks then I wear whatever colour I'm in the mood for.

I installed my braids two weeks ago after co-washing with the Shea Moisture African Black Soap Balancing Conditioner.  



I combed Cantu for Naturals leave-in conditionting cream through my hair and used Ecostyler Argan oil gel to smooth the hair and blend it into the extensions (both purchased from African-flair). I used 3 packs (cut in half) of X-pression premium kanekalon ultra braid in #blue. It took me about 10 hours to finish (I have a lot of hair. Half that time was spent on my crown).



I keep my braids in for a minimum of four weeks and I spray my hair with a growth remedy that contains Aloe vera juice, castor oil, bergamot essence and bay rum. I add peppermint and rosemary essential oils to it as well. 
I try to co-wash/ scalp cleanse every week and I've been using the Purification Masque for the African Black Soap range. I take about a teaspoon of the masque, add water and transfer to a spray bottle to make application easy. Then, I use the balancing conditioner as a leave-in. 



So along with brightly coloured hair...I love wearing bold lipcolour.  Here are some looks I've been wearing recently. 
OFRA liquid lipstick in the shade Atlantic City
Stila stay all day liquid lipstick in Fiery

L'oreal Pure Reds Collection in Doutzen's red
I'll do a post on my lipstick collection at some point. 

What do think of my blue hair? What kind of colours do you like to wear in your hair?


Drop a comment below. 

xoxo, 

N

1 comment: