Friday 27 July 2018

Tools for a Natural: My Favourites

Hi loves,
Today I thought I'd share some of my favourite haircare tools, since I've shared quite a bit on products. so, in no particular order, here goes.

#1 Satin-lined Bonnet & #2 Satin pillowcase
I put these two together because, they serve the same purpose: to protect your hair from breakage when you're asleep. I have two bonnets; a standard size and larger one for when I have braids installed. There are a few companies that sell bonnets the ones that I've used personally are: Marley Grey and Kikkaboo. They also sell satin pillowcases (which are also available from Mr Price Home, if you're worried about ordering online).
My satin-lined bonnet; this one was custom-made by Marley Grey.
#3 Head Wraps
Life-savers! without question. If I don't know what to do with my hair, it's raining or my hair won't cooperate. I've got so many, ranging from cheapies I've picked up at Chinatown and Mr Price, to satin-lined #pineappledoek and ankara head wraps (My collection includes wraps from The Scarf Company, Lavish Atelier, Kikkaboo and Marley Grey). Satin-lined wraps are better in the long term, because they're gentle on your hair and minimise breakage and loss of edges.

Pineapple doek from Marley Grey

Ankara turban from Lavish Atelier

#4 Shampoo brush
It's not completely essential, since can use the pads of your fingers to massage your scalp when shampooing or doing oil treatments. I'm not convinced by Vanity Planets vibrating brush ($20 for a brush is expensive, add on that shipping and custom duties). I have a cheapo from dischem that goes for ZAR 30.00.

#5 Spray bottle
All spray bottles are not created equal! I've been at this too long, if I'm nit picking about the spray bottle. The best ones are those with the trigger nozzle, because then your finger doesn't slip off the nozzle while you're busy. Also, no cramping of your index finger - wash days are looooong! My current one is a continuous mist spray bottle, which was relatively affordable for ZAR 50 at Dischem.


#6 Softhood attachment
The softhood attachment is a good alternative to getting a hooded dryer if you don't have the space, because you can fold it away for storage. I attach it to the nose end of hair dryer and use it during the deep conditioning step at low speed and medium heat for 10 minutes or so. My softhood is by Curlformers. Here in South Africa, you can order it online from hairhouse warehouse and Marley Grey

Giving my deep conditioning step an extra oomph

#8 Detangling brush(es): Tangle Teezer
 I've recently switched up my detangling brush. I was using the the D31 from Denman which is great for the first step after finger-detangling but not enough to get all the knots and shed hair. I know tangle teezers look scary to us kinky-coilys, but use just like any detangling tool; section your hair and do small sections at a time. Start at the tips, and work your way to the roots slowly.
Tangle teezer for thick & curly hair, and Shampoo brush


#9 Bobby Pins
This one is a no brainer, regardless of hair type or curl pattern. Sometimes I can't find any of them, and that's frustrating. I've become picky about these; I find my favourites are the ones by Denman, because  They don't loose the knobs at the ends (so I don't scratch my scalp or cut my hair). I'm very possesive about them too 🙈, you can have the cheapies but not my Denmans 👀

#10 Duckbill/Crocodile clips
These are essential for me; my hair's gotten long and it's thick, so I have to section my hair whenever I wash or style. crocodile clips are better in my opinion because they have teeth to hold the hair in place.

Least favourite...
My not so favourites that I keep around ...drumroll please 🥁🥁🥁  Rollers! I'm talking about the old school ones with the teeth that can scratch your brain, but they're the best at stretching my afro. So they get to stay.
Brain scratchers!


What are your favourite haircare tools? Leave a comment below if you like.

Until my next post, 

xoxo, N



No comments:

Post a Comment